Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL
Tree-Ring Ecophysiological Research
Two-hour lessons every week at the University Zürich, Irchel:
- Biological basics of tree growth.
- Wood anatomy, biology and physiology.
- Dendrochronological methods in ecology: history and principles.
- Designing an experiment in situ. Data analyses and statistics,
interpretation of results.
- Applications in environmental studies (e.g., dendrochemistry,
i.e. heavy metals).
- Scientific writing and the publishing systems.
- The impact on society (e.g., history, ecology, arts, forensics),
and recent relevant scientific contribution.
Practical work in the field and in laboratory:
- 1 day: In the field: sampling and site
- 4 days: At the WSL, Birmensdorf: sample preparation, ring-width
measurement, densitometry, and image analysis.
- Writing a short paper.