Head: Dr. Oliver Thees
The Research Group Forest Production Systems (in future: Sustainable Forestry for Ecosystem Services, see below) is conducting application-oriented research and implementation to create direct benefits for the forest management, forest politics and to the general societal advantage. Its insights serve the efficient, effective and sustainable management of the forest and its resources. Encouraging innovation while having an orientation towards systems and technology, it contributes to the power to compete of the Swiss forest industry as well as the location of Switzerland for business in general.
Thematically, the Research Group focuses on efficient and ecological use of wood as a natural resource. Research is done on integrated production systems: production and harvest of timber, marketing activities and delivery unto the customer as well as the belonging information management. To reach this goal, already existing knowledge is combined with new results developed in-house, models are implemented and then synthesized into IT-based tools, which are finally brought into application in the industry or the research community. In particular, they help to improve the quality of answers to complex questions as well as the realization of research results.
A new concept was recently designed to shape the future research directions of the group. On this basis, in future the RG will be re-named “Sustainable Forestry for Ecosystem Services”.
Focus of interest
- Using which concepts, methods and technologies can we design and govern forest production systems more efficiently and effectively?
- How can decision making processes and planning in the forest industry be improved?
- How can harvesting costs be reduced as well as the environmental protection be improved?
- How can availability and allocation of biomass in the forest and timber industries be evaluated and improved?
- According to which motives and lines of reasoning do market actors in forestry networks really act, and how do markets for forest products and services actually function?
- How do production systems look like that are tailored to a customer's needs?
- What are the expected influences on forest production systems due to the climate change and how can negative impacts be avoided?