Accommodation options/resources

Looking for accommodation is a time-consuming process, but it is easier if you are able to carry out your search in the local area. You may find it helpful to book a hotel room, rent a place in a student house or rent a shared flat to start with. This will give you time to look around for suitable accommodation.People often find accommodation via their friends and acquaintances. It is definitely worth making use of your personal contacts and social media in your accommodation search. You could also try the following websites:

This brochure produced by the Federal Office for Housing provides basic information about renting a flat.

Moving home
(changing your address, registering/deregistering at your place of residence)

Changing your address
You have found a new place to live and will soon be moving in. Even if you are relocating to somewhere else in Switzerland, moving involves a lot of work. By being well prepared, you can ensure that moving out of your old home and into your new one is a stress-free experience and save yourself unnecessary hassle. You must report your new address to various authorities. A full checklist can be found at (in German).

WSL also needs to be informed about your new address. Please report any change of address to Human Resources in good time to ensure that you continue to receive your post promptly.

Important: If you are from a non-EU/EFTA country, you must apply to the Migration Office if you wish to move to a different canton.

Registering/deregistering at your place of residence
You must deregister at your old commune or, if living in the city of Zurich, at the relevant District Office (Kreisbüro), and register in your new place of residence. The documents required for registration and deregistration vary depending on the commune or city administration and canton in question. Please note that you usually have to register within 14 days of moving to a new place of residence.