Before you arrive

Entering Switzerland

Informations about Covid regulations from State Secretariat for Migration SEM »»»»

Work permit, residence permit and visa

People from EU and EFTA countries
Nationals of an EU-27 or EFTA country who want to work in Switzerland may enter the country. To regularise your residence status, as soon as you arrive you should submit an application together with your employment contract to the Residents' Registration Office responsible for your place of domicile.

EU-27 countries*
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden

EFTA countries
Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland

Stay for up to 90 calendar days per year
Foreign employees from the EU-27 and EFTA countries may work in Switzerland for up to 90 calendar days per calendar year without a work permit, but must be officially registered. Human Resources must register them before they enter Switzerland.

Cross-border commuters
Cross-border commuters from EU and EFTA countries may live anywhere in the EU/EFTA region and work in Switzerland, provided they return to their residence abroad once a week (usually at the weekend). Work permit applications for cross-border commuters are to be submitted by Human Resources.

Visas for nationals of non-EU/EFTA countries/third countries
Nationals from non-EU/EFTA countries require a visa to enter Switzerland if the purpose of their visit is gainful employment. The migration authority checks the application for a work and residence permit. Once the application has been approved, the migration authority authorises the Swiss embassy or consulate in the country in question to issue a visa, which must be collected there by the applicant.

Important: The visa and work permit authorisation procedures are interlinked. Human Resources submits the application, which usually takes 8-10 weeks to process. Only persons to whom a visa has been issued or a residence permit approved may enter Switzerland!

Seeking accommodation

Please see the "Accommodation" section for more details.