After you arrive

Registering in your commune of residence (stays of more than 90 days)

Within 14 days of your arrival, you must register at your commune of residence or, if living in the city of Zurich, at the relevant District Office (Kreisbüro). A charge is levied for registering.

Nationals of EU/EFTA countries
To register, nationals of EU/EFTA countries require the following documents: passport or identity card, employment contract and rental agreement for accommodation.

Nationals of non-EU/EFTA countries
To register, nationals of non-EU/EFTA countries require the following documents: passport, visa authorisation or confirmation of their residence permit, employment contract and rental agreement for their accommodation.

Important: please send a copy of your Swiss residence permit to Human Resources as soon as you receive it from the Migration Office.

Taking out health insurance

Health insurance (consisting of compulsory basic insurance and voluntary top-up insurance) is mandatory for all persons resident in Switzerland. This insurance is not the employer's responsibility and provision is not automatic. You must take out the insurance privately and your application must be made no later than three months after taking up residence in Switzerland.

People who are in Switzerland for education and training purposes, for example, may make a written application for exemption from compulsory health insurance, provided that they are in Switzerland for a limited period of time and have equivalent insurance cover in another country. The Health Department of the Canton of Zurich decides whether people may be exempted from this obligation.

Salary account

You will need a Swiss account for your salary to be paid into. You can opt for either a bank account or a PostFinance account.