Dr. Maria Garcia Martin
My background is in human geography and I identify myself as a landscape sustainability scientist. I am interested in the broad field of human-landscape interactions with a focus on societal transitions towards landscape sustainability. To this aim I conduct transdisciplinary and participatory research both at a place-based and at a European level.
My three main lines of research focus on:
- Integrated landscape management approaches
- The interactions between people and their local landscapes and how this connects to their wellbeing and to cultivating landscape stewardship
- Combining food systems and landscape research to identify pathways towards agricultural sustainability
At the WSL I am currently collaborating on the SNF funded projects:
- Restorative potential of green spaces in noise-polluted environments - RESTORE
- What is Sustainable Intensification? Operationalizing Sustainable Agricultural Intensification Pathways in Europe - SIPATH.